As we step out of summer and into the fall season, I want to share one last summer inspired recipe, maybe with a slightly irrational hope of hanging onto summer just a tiny bit longer. Nope, I already smell the pumpkin.
This Tomato, Avocado, and Turkey sandwich is the perfect accompany to lunch during the summer months, but this one last summer inspired recipe can easily be carried into the fall season, with a few simple changes, and/or an additional pairing.
The simple variations of this sandwich from summer to fall are:
- Rather than a cool chilled tomato, roast it. Get a small skillet, turn up the heat sprinkle with some spike seasoning, and brown that baby…I mean tomato. Top with a slice of swiss cheese, remove the tomato(es) from heat once your cheese has melted, and place on your sandwich.
- if you are feeling brave, panini the sandwich with an electric grill press, if you have one.
- Pair with soup, such as fall favorite soups like, Tomato Soup or if that with the sandwich is too much of a tomato overload, Butternut Squash soup recipe from Emily Bites is a good companion too.
With the fall fixes mentioned, the Original recipe is below. Hope y’all enjoy.
- 2 slices of Sourdough bread
- Deli Turkey Breast, sliced to desired thickness
- 1 vine ripe tomato, sliced
- 1 large Avocado, sliced
- Swiss Cheese, sliced
- condiments, Mayonnaise and Dijon Mustard
- seasonings, salt, pepper, and spike
- First, spread desired amount of mayonnaise and mustard, on one side of each slice of sourdough.
- Begin stacking other ingredients atop one slice of bread, beginning with sliced turkey breast sprinkled with salt and pepper.
- Then, top your turkey breast with sliced avocado, sliced swiss cheese, sliced tomato(es) sprinkled with spike, and the remaining slice of sourdough.
- Sink your teeth into this cool summer sandwich.
- ***Warm it up a bit***
- – pan sear your tomato(es) until slightly brown, sprinkle with spike, then top with sliced swiss. Once cheese is melted, remove tomato(es) placing cheese side down on top of avocado.
- – if you are feeling brave, panini the sandwich with an electric grill press, if you have one.
- – pair this sandwich with few seasonal soups, such as, Tomato soup, or Butternut Squash soup.